Subject: Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:46:08 +0900 (JST)

    Ian> Well, if you add the observation that nearly all economic
    Ian> models which appear in the popular press do focus exclusively
    Ian> on monetary and on other easily quantifiable concerns, then
    Ian> Richard's concern is reasonable.

Richard and I have debated exactly this issue of the applicability of
economics, in exactly these terms, in public and in private, before.

He knows better.

It is reasonable for him to caution me (and my unsuspecting audience)
to be careful.  His use of the word "economic" is common usage, and I
accept that.  But when he writes that economic analysis _cannot_ deal
with broader issues, without reference to any proposed model,

			      it is FUD

and a blatant attempt to stifle debate.  Please do not encourage him
in this.