Subject: Richard's contribution (was Re: Open letter to those who believe in a right to free software)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 00:25:54 -0500

Tim O'Reilly wrote:

> Richard was responsible for one great innovation: the *idea* that free
> mattered, that it was central rather than incidental.  It was he who
> brought into consciousness something that was being practiced, but not
> self-consciously.  He is the father of our awareness of the importance of
> free access to source code, not of the practice of sharing it.

Indeed, every time I have heard Richard speak on the issue, he has noted
that he makes sure to clearly *not* claim credit for inventing the practice.
He usually says that the practice was commonplace, and became gravely
concerned that the community was disappearing.  He indicates that the
collapse of that sharing community is what inspired him to raise awareness
and to help make sure there would always be free software.

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn