Subject: Re: The merger: a user's perspective
From: David Welton <davidw@master.debian.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:24:04 -0600

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 03:03:03PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Of course it's very hard to define degrees of "for-profit-ness."
> But maybe what is needed here by the _free_ software community is a
> form of corporate "charterleft" for business practices to match its
> "copyleft" for intellectual assets.  A real example of this kind of
> instrument is the so-called "ethical mutual fund," whose prospectus
> explicitly eschews profit opportunities which stem from investments
> in businesses whose practices are deemed unethical by definition in
> the prospectus.

It should be noted that Prosa SRL has indeed come up with something
similiar - as part of their articles of incorporation, they are
forbidded to produce or distribute non-free software.

http://www.prosa.it/statuto (it's mostly in Italian, but it's
explained briefly at the top).

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria