Subject: Re: Who holds the copyright? (was Re: The merger: a user's perspective)
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:13:27 -0500 (EST)

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
 > This is worse case scenario, of course.  I am not saying it is *going* to
 > happen, just that it *could*, and is more likely than before.

And you could get hit by a meteorite tomorrow.  It's more likely than
ever in the last 32 years.  Start worrying now, avoid the rush!!  Sheesh!

I mean, what if Alan Cox, Linus Torvalds, and David Miller are all at
a Linux conference, and a kamikaze plane piloted by Bill Gates swoops
down out of the sky and kills them all?

 > > Not perfectly easy, but Stan covered that by mentioning a lag.
 >
 > There is no guarantee nor requirement that they ever release the software as
 > free again if they hold the copyright.

Right.  That's why you insist on an OSI Certified Open Source license.
It's like source escrow without all the legal hassles.  No, you never
want to use it, but because it's there you probably won't have to.