Subject: Re: Fiduciary limitations
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:57:51 -0500 (EST)

Brian Bartholomew writes:
 > What legal mechanisms exist to constrain future actions of a business
 > against its profit motive?  How can a software business prove to
 > consumers that the terms and business values they like today will be
 > applied in the future, even if the company is sold to new management?

Sometimes there's no worm under that rock.  For example, legal
mechanisms to keep drugs out of our country, or to keep encryption in,
can be seen to be a failure.  Sometimes you just have to trust in the
market, which means trusting in people.  A largish number of people
don't trust their fellow man to do what's in their own best interest.
I don't know why that is, since that's one of the few things you *can*
trust that people will do.