Subject: GNU/Linux accounting software (was Re: Linux accounting software)
From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@ebb.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:39:40 -0500
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:39:40 -0500
Crispin Cowan wrote:

> It is quite stable, and implements all the core Quicken functionality I
> ever needed.  Everyone, including the CBB author, says that GnuCash will
> replace CBB, but until GnuCash is actually ready, CBB works.

 I switched to it completely on 01-01-2000, and have not had a problem.  It
doesn't have all the whistles and bells of Quicken, but it is stable, and
works and the developers as well as a number of users are trusting their
personal finances to it.

So, I don't know if GNUCash fits the definition of ready that is being used
by everyone involved, but GNUCash is ready to be used to keep track of one's
personal finances.  Whether it has every feature a given person wants, I
don't know.  AFAIK, there is no free software that yet has all the features
of Quicken.  GNUCash appears to be the most likely to succeed in this arena,
though.

BTW, GNUCash definitely runs on GNU/Linux.  Getting it to run on Linux, the
kernel, by itself is probably a hard task.  :)

BTW, to keep this post on topic, I would love to see a free software
business pick up GNUCash and run with it.  It surely could be marketable.
AFAIK, there isn't even proprietary software ported to GNU/Linux (or has
Intuit ported Quicken (I surely hope not)).

--
         -  bkuhn@ebb.org  -  Bradley M. Kuhn  -  bkuhn@gnu.org  -
                          http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]