Subject: Re: Open Source for Windows
From: kmself@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:23:36 -0800
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:23:36 -0800
on Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 02:17:35PM -0500, Glen Starchman (glen@enabledventures.com)
wrote:
> Anyone on this list have any interest in an open source repository for the
> Windows platform(s)?  I have been sitting on the domain winopensource.com for
> quite a while now and keep getting emails from people saying things like
> 'When are you going to *do* something with this domain?'.
>
> The idea is to create a resource for developers to create and to
> collaboratively create (by picking and choosing various libraries and
> receiving a custom file with all of those dependencies) applications that are
> mostly open source. I say mostly because due to the licensing restrictions of
> most Windows DLLs the projects cannot be truly open sourced. However, it is a
> start.
>
> I have an initial database schema, the idea, and the domain all ready to go.
> What I don't have is the time to pull it off. This should be a very high
> traffic site, although not necessarily high profit. I am trying to find
> someone who would like to be involved at a founder level in this extremely
> bootstrapped endeavor.
>
> Anyone interested?

Not particularly myself.

A suggestion, however.  I'd borrow a page from Tim O'Reilly and try to
infect Legacy MS Windows users with the GNU/Linux bug by actively
advocating Windows suport for GNU/Linux software.  The availability of
several (Linux|Unix) on Windows toolkits from Cygnus/Red Hat and AT&T's
UWIN hould make this relatively feasible.  UWIN just announced late last
week the availability of an extensive set of GNU/Linux ports, including
the GNOME desktop environment.  News significant enough that I spammed a
development list for a cross-platform application I still track with it
as part of my ongoing reeducation campaign ;-).  Info at
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/ .  This is the project led by
David Korn, of korn shell fame.

With the rest of the computing world rapidly converging on the open
standard of the GNU/Linux and *BSD platform -- from embedded to desktop
to mainframe -- leaves Legacy MS Windows as the odd man out.  Granted,
it's the odd man with about 86% of the desktop market, but for
application portability, it's certainly not the clear choice.

Interestingly, given concerns some have had that GNU/Linux might be
falling into the same "a better Windows than Windows" trap of OS/2, it's
arguable that Microsoft has better support for GNU/Linux software than
the other way around.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]