Subject: Re: GNU and classified software
From: Dave Turner <novalis@novalis.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:24:12 -0500

Simon Cozens wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 03:58:31PM -0500, Dave Turner wrote:
> > Marjorie: Who is using Perl and how are they using it?
>
> If you call Perl a GNU tool again, I will do horrific things to you. :)

You know where to find me - see my sig :)

> Don't forget that Perl is dual-licensed. A lot of businesses can *only*
> use it because of this fact; the Artistic license gives them a lot more
> freedom^Wleeway than the GPL does.

s/use/distribute/.  There are no restrictions on use in the GPL or any
other free software license.  Of course, whether the right to restrict
the further distribution of software you distribute (which bsd-like and
the artistic license provide for) is a legitimate right, well, that's a
topic for a philosophical list.

> You're not Dave.  Who are you?

What?  I am David M. Turner, a.k.a. Novalis.  I'm an infrastructure dude
for the Worldforge project.

--
-Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859
<pug> Wait, you're right, I'm thinking of the Ankh-Morpork Assassin's