Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 16:44:06 -0400

>  Which brings me to a more focused question than my earlier challenges:
>How does a developer that wants to invest his time developing, get compensated
>in the open source arena?
>I will add two constraints to this question:
>1.  The income level must be comparable to other opportunities in the market
>place.
>2.  The individual does not need to be a world renowned expert on
>the topic/software.

I think it depends on the arena. Open source is very good for making
it easy for groups to cooperate and this ease is especially valuable
when cooperation may be difficult. I can imagine that an industry
group may push to develop new standards with open source software in
order to avoid debating over who gets to own the result.

American Airlines, for instance, owns the flight reservation system
Sabre. Many of the airlines who are also listed with the system have
always had complaints about any little favoritism shown to AA by the
system. An open source solution linking the airlines own computers
may be a better solution than letting one strictly proprietary system
owned by one airline dominate.

I suspect that banks and others companies that depend upon technology
to accomplish their primary job may begin to hire people to work on
open source projects that advance their goals. Shared code is a
better way to evolve a standard than a natural language spec that is
turned into proprietary code by each member.

So, I think that these cases probably already exist and they satisfy
your two conditions.

-Peter