Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!?
From: Casey West <casey@geeknest.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 15:42:35 -0400

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 08:10:24AM -0300, Steve Mallett wrote:
: [snip]
: "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:
:
: > True, there is a need.  But should serving that need be in the charter of
: > this list?  Especially when their goal is almost certainly not "free,"
: > and never will be?  I think that the problem of running a business
: > based on free (by the strict definition) software is interesting,
: > important, and relevant to enough developers to deserve its own list.
: > That's what FSB is, right?
: >
: > We need a separate list for the purpose of encouraging movement toward
: > openness by people who are starting from proprietary.  I wish the term
: > "open source" hadn't been coopted as a marketing ploy.  It's the
: > perfect name: "Open Source Software Business."  Maybe "Published Source
: > Software Business" is a good enough alternative?
:
:
: As a lurker on this list I think there may be some merit to the idea of
: a seperate list for handholding.  If I'm not out of line here, I find
: this list (for as long as I've been monitoring it) most adapt at harsh?
: and critical analysis of current events & issues and sometimes each
: other.  A good thing.
:
: Forgive the analogy, but perhaps with a new handholding/education
: focused list those coming from the proprietary world would have a more
: positive experience with a retail (How can we help you?) vs boardroom
: list.

It's working for Perl.  Recently the beginners@perl.org list was
conceived and it has been wildly successful.  The community has done
an amazing job at putting the flame throwers away and taking time go
give back to their trade.  I'm aware than many aspects of Open Source
could use this type of shift in attitude toward the new commer.

: The newbies are coming....

Yes, don't send them running, as Tim put it so well.  If it takes a
separate list and a small but dedicated few, so be it.

  Casey West

--
Shooting yourself in the foot with AMIGA-DOS
The gun works pretty well, except that few people use one and it's