Subject: Re: Opportunity lost? Challenge declined!? (CLARIFICATION)
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:24:58 +0100

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:10:03AM -0400, Adam Theo wrote:
> "Simon Cozens" <simon@netthink.co.uk> wrote:
>     Down that path lies madn^Wshareware. :)
>
> i've heard people flak shareware, but never the reasons why. if you
> don't mind, could you give me a run-down of why it has a bad rap?

The official dogma can be found at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#TOCshareware

More practically speaking, however, people simply don't pay - especially if
they can get equivalent software under more acceptable terms, in which case
they'll use that instead.

And, in many cases - and this, for me, is the utter clincher for free software
- if they can't get it under more acceptable terms, someone, somewhere will
write a clone which *is* under more acceptable terms. It only takes one
single person to do that, and you've lost your competitive advantage.

--
Hanlon's Razor:
	Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained