Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:13:39 +0900

    Zimran> Companies that don't do these things will have competitive
    Zimran> advantage over companies that do, all else being
    Zimran> equal. but the home user?  stick a fork in him... he's
    Zimran> done.

True, but...

... Most home users have jobs.  Even if they don't care, they will
prefer what they've got at work, all else being equal.  (At least
that's the theory behind "educational discounts" and giving stuff to
schools.)

We have more advantages than are apparent.  But they'll be relatively
small (no revenues from proprietary licensing means less resources)
and non-traditional (the "traditional" ones being the usual strategies
for making profits, many of which we have more or less renounced).
Leveraging them will take a lot of creativity.

But who has more of _that_ than we do?  :-)  I'm optimistic.