Subject: Re: MSIE "Smart Tags" -- what's the real deal?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 21 Jun 2001 10:09:40 -0700

Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr> writes:

> But my impression is that MS proposes to modify the actual text to
> insert tags automatically (with an editor) rather than do it on the
> fly, e.g. with a browser, which is much smarter, dynamic and
> adaptable.

Note this sentence:

    Make sure you have placed a copy of the file <i>msdnwebsites.xml</i>
    in your <b>C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Smart
    Tag\Lists</b> folder before viewing this Web page, or else smart tags
    will not be activated for this Web page.

You (or Microsoft) provide smart tags definitions to the browser.  The
browser then automatically applies them to web pages which it
displays.  The smart tags definitions include text to recognize when
adding links, and the pages those links should point to.

Ian