Subject: Re: on copyright and digital media
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:37:14 +0200

I disagree ...

  they could have stopped the use of Naster without touching Napster,
and they can as well stop that.
   All it takes is a few people in jail to scare the rest of the users.

But they do not ... though they ultimately will have to ...
and I can see only one reason:

  It is just a good excuse to get all these laws passed that will give
them a lot more power than it they just asked for existing laws to be
enforced.

  It has been my understanding for quite a while.

Bernard

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 01:00:37AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> This is from salon.com (http://www.salon.com/tech/inbox/index.html):
>

> 	There are few words that better please a journalist than "I
> 	told you so." We found it, therefore, hard to contain our
> 	schadenfreude when we read the news that peer-to-peer music
> 	trading on the Net hit an all-time high in August. According
> 	to the analysts at Webnoize, over three billion files were
> 	downloaded that month by users of the Napster clones
> 	FastTrack, Audiogalaxy, iMesh and Gnutella. Napster, by
> 	comparison, ait its peak only boasted 2.79 billion files in
> 	February 2001.
>
> 	[....]
>
> 	We are not gleeful that artists are still going uncompensated
> 	for their work.
>
> -t

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX