Subject: Re: "I've got more programmers than you"
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:57:57 -0700
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:57:57 -0700
on Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:51:14PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor (ian@airs.com) wrote:
> Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com> writes:
>
> > I've spoken to the people who make MySQL and they're quite upfront
> > about the strengths and weaknesses of the tool. One explained it with
> > a metaphors about cars, trucks, SUVs etc. Corvettes and Unimogs have
> > different market niches. One is not better than the other.
> >   The same is true about databases. The good news for MySQL and
> > Postgres is that there's a large niche for them. Many websites need a
> > fast, basic database.
>
> I believe that part of the reason this discussion keeps on going and
> going and going is that there is a terminology problem.  People mean
> different things by the words ``database'' and ``RDBMS.''

My terminology suggstion, largely drawn from online dictionaries (FOLDOC
and others):

  database:  a collection of data, an organized body of related
      information.

  online database:  a database accessible via electronic means.

  RDBMS:  a relational database.  From the work of E.F. Codd:  A
      relational database allows the definition of data structures,
      storage, and retrieval operations and integrity constraints.
      Often implemented with SQL query / maintenance / programming
      interface.

  ACID:  a mnemonic for the properties a transaction should have to
      satisfy the object management group transaction service
      specifications.  A transaction should be Atomic, its result
      should be Consistent, Isolated (independent of other transactions)
      and Durable (its effect should be permanent).

While a brief search doesn't turn up a good definition of "transactional
database", I'd posit:  an RDBMS with ACID properties.

A database can be virtually anything that holds data in an organize
fashion:  an email archive, text files, a file cabinet, a library.

I think the current discussion is revolving around RDBMS systems with
and without ACID properties.  Making these distinctions clear would
benefit the conversation.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]