Subject: Re: shooting holes in the sky
From: dblankley@iwon.com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:16:32 -0400

 Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:16:32 -0400
>The basic idea of the thread, I think, is to take the free stuff, add value
>&
>sell that.  Nothing new, really.
I think it's a little more than that.

The problem is developing the initial product to begin with.  This takes
time and people, both of which take money.

If I had money, or Tom or anyone, I wouldn't need the VC.  I need the VC
to help me fund the development, because I need to be able to pay bills.

Unfortunately, most VCs are, despite popular perception to the contrary,
risk-averse lemmings, who have no interest in funding R&D.
I think this is why alot of firms come out of universities -> grad students
can afford to suffer through the initial product development.  It can then
be sold, and then attract VC money.

Dave