Subject: Re: Mandatory donations or build from CVS...
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2001 09:30:47 -0700

burton@relativity.yi.org (Kevin A. Burton) writes:

> > I'd seriously consider fetching from CVS the source behind the latest stable
> > build, and putting it in a nice .tar.gz on my website.
>
> Really?  What would be your motivation.  Can't wait to screw the author?  That
> is crazy!?

If you think that making the code available from another source is
screwing the author, then you should not be using an free software
license.

Think hard about what you think software authors should get for their
work.  Use a license which fits your thinking.

If you think that software authors should get paid on a per-copy
basis, then a free software license is not what you want.  If you
don't think authors should get paid per copy, then it shouldn't bother
you at all that Norbert would put the source up somewhere else.

Charging for a download is completely reasonable; they are using your
bandwidth.  But if they download from Norbert's site, it costs you
nothing.  So why should you expect to get paid?  Don't let a political
adherence to free software blind you to what you think is right.

And, by the way, don't think you're going to get rich selling software
on your own, under any license.  Hardly anybody does.  Very few people
even cover their expenses, unless they don't value their time.

Ian