Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:19:42 -0700

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:14:09PM -0200, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2001, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

> > > Suppose it really is impossible to get, at least approximately,
> > > "per copy" payment for a free software product.  In that case,
> > > isn't this a fundamental bug in capitalism -- a complete
> > > disincentive to write certain kinds of program?  Isn't the right
> > > patch for that bug the

> > Capitalism is full of fundamental bugs.  Like democracy, it's main
> > advantage is that nobody has been able to think of anything
> > better.

> Capitalism is full of bugs *grin*

As is any human institution, which isn't a reason for not proposing
bug fixes :)

> You are, of course, right. However this isn't clear to everybody
> (wasn't always to me, definitely) and this matter is important to be
> pointed out in this kind of discussion. It would be interesting to
> see what sort of solution could be introduced if we thought beyond
> the basic exchange methods we've seen so far.

You're about to below.

> [ I guess the government could be an important patron. Oh it is, of
> course, with grants and scholarships, but it could do much more.
> This might sound backwards, though. ]

You're not backwards.  Backwards is people fantasizing about returning
to a grim and horrible time in the US when men were men, women didn't
have the vote, black people were "niggers" and corporations sent in
goon squads with baseball bats and torches when their workers asked
for conditions we take for granted.

Cheers,
David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/~shackle/
phone +1 415 567 2690  fax: +1 415 567 2340