Subject: Re: Studies
From: Jonathan Ryshpan <jon@dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 18:42:37 -0800

>> I think licences like the kermit, tkman and nvi licences, which prohibit
>> sale of the software while otherwise allowing free distribution, is to
>> enormously reduce use as soon as alternatives are available. ...

>Do these licenses provide a commercial licensing option, or do they simply
>prohibit sale?

For what it's worth, here's the kermit licensing info (at least as far
as I have downloaded it to my computer, about April 1996).  I think
that Columbia has shot itself in the foot.  Probably someone in the
administration thinks that there's some money to be made selling kermit;
judging from the number of copies I've seen, for sale this isn't so.

I think that for a large organization like Columbia, which has equally
large administrative costs, the GPL would be much superior.  If they
want to protect their intellectual property (just because thay want to,
and not because they'll get a benefit from it) they should use the FPL.

====================== Kermit Extracts Start Here ======================

Extracted from: ckaaaa.hlp
  CD-ROMS

  If you have obtained C-Kermit on a CD-ROM collection of "free software",
  C-Kermit was very likely included without permission.  Please help to
  support the Kermit effort by obtaining Kermit software through the proper
  channels, with proper documentation.

Extracted from: read.me
  THE KERMIT FILES MAY NOT BE REDISTRIBUTED ON CD-ROMS OR OTHER MEDIA
  WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE OFFICE OF KERMIT DEVELOPMENT AND
  DISTRIBUTION, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY.  THEY SHOULD NOT BE COPIED TO
  OTHER FTP SITES FROM WHICH CD-ROMS ARE MADE.  THEY MAY NOT BE RESOLD,
  REMARKETED, BUNDLED, EMBEDDED, ADAPTED, GIVEN AWAY, OR OTHERWISE
  REDISTRIBUTED BY COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, CLIENTS,
  OR PROSPECTIVE CLIENTS WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.
  For further information, send email to kermit@columbia.edu.

Extracted from: ckuusx.c
  Author: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu, FDCCU@CUVMA.BITNET),
  Columbia University Academic Information Systems, New York City.

  Copyright (C) 1985, 1994, Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New
  York.  The C-Kermit software may not be, in whole or in part, licensed or
  sold for profit as a software product itself, nor may it be included in or
  distributed with commercial products or otherwise distributed by commercial
  concerns to their clients or customers without written permission of the
  Office of Kermit Development and Distribution, Columbia University.  This
  copyright notice must not be removed, altered, or obscured.