Subject: Re: crux of the essence
From: "tony stanco" <tony@freedevelopers.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:59:44 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fetter <david@fetter.org>
To: Free Software Business <fsb@crynwr.com>
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2001 12:39 PM

>On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:27:10AM -0400, tony stanco wrote:
>>
>> >It is not that easy.
>
>> It will be easier than you think, but it requires unorthodox
>> conceptualization.
>
>That is a tall, tall statement, and you'd best be ready to defend it
>in Africa and Asia, places where the vast majority of this planet's
>people live and I venture to guess, based on your ignorance, that
>you've never even visited.

Richard and I inaugurated Free Software Foundation-India and
FreeDevelopers-India in July. They are located in the poorest (in per capita
income), but in the country's most literate state. That is no coincidence in
my opinion, because for intellectual activity you only need brains, not huge
plants. If you need to wait for huge plants, you are at the whim of those
who own the plants (mostly in the West).

BTW, people are going to be amazed what happens in these countries.
Billboards and signs of all kinds  EVERYWHRE advertise software training,
not traditional car ads or other consumer goods like you see in the West. I
was amazed that every corner is pushing software development and some of the
"schools" are one room places in store fronts. Also they have a 200 acre
TechnoPark attached to the Engineering School that is as modern and well
supplied as any I have seen here that are looking at Free Software, which is
state endorsed for e-government and education. And this in the poorest
state!

They understand that this is transformational. That these other countries
get it is not surprising, because for them to have their own software
industry they need Free Software, because they can only be serfs to the West
with proprietary.

But what I find surprising since our Free Software Conference in Washington
is that there are many in the Federal government that get it. Free Software
is not only understood in the basements anymore. The opinion makers in
government are getting it. In the next few years, proprietary is going to be
the exception in the Federal government, unless some very heavy lobbying
pays off, which I doubt since there are some very deep pockets who are on
the other side, too.