Subject: Re: Studies
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 06:53 PST

> > If I understand correctly, the FSF was founded on
> > the premise that proprietary software is immoral, and should be stamped
> > out, if possible.
>
> Not the really the case. My discussion with Richard Stallman four
> weeks ago touched on this very issue and he's either mellowed with
> age or simply has been widely misrepresented.

Having known Stallman for nearly 20 years, I can assure you that he has not
been misrepresented in the past.

> some rather well-connected people from the commercial software world who are
> working for Linux companies (Corel, Adabas-D). (please note that companies
> considered in #2 are free loaders according to L. Peter).

Could you please clarify what you mean by "Linux companies"?  Last time I
checked, Corel was a full-bore commercial enterprise.

If you mean that Corel does their development using Linux, yes, they are
free loaders in the precise, limited sense I used before: they are obtaining
substantial commercial value from the work of others without paying for it.
It's the choice of Linus et al to allow this in the pursuit of the goal of
ultimately making all software libre.  For that matter, I do essentially all
my development using Linux, and I cheerfully acknowledge that I'm getting a
free ride on the efforts of Linus, IJG, Group 42, et al.  So are all libre
software developers.  As far as I'm concerned, the issue is whether what
they contribute back to the pool of software that is widely available
without charge or additional licensing (I don't have a snappy word for "at
least as libre as AFPL'ed") is comparable with what they draw from it.  I
seem to be in a very small minority on this list in that respect.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734