Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton)
Date: 02 Jan 2002 17:05:17 -0800

"Joshua C. Lerner" <jlerner@panix.com> writes:
<snip/>

> >  Agreed. It's alot easier for someone to make a living of selling drugs,
> >  or prostituting themseleves, than it is for someone to make a living
> >  of doing good for the community.
>
> Come now. There are many ways to do "good for the community". Not all involve
> working for non-profits, which I assume is what you mean.

No.  There is a LARGE section of the OSS community that really helps change the
world but there isn't a dime to be made working in it.

Privacy enabled systems.  Unless you can really sell it there is no money to be
made here.

It is a shame society shoots itself in the foot here.

This is why I really think we need a micropayment system here.  I have been
thinking about this a lot lately.  I am going to post my thoughts here when
they settle down.

> >  That's one of the things I hate about
> >  Capitalism. It's designed around the dollar, not around progress, or
> >  freedom.
>
> Yes, capitalism is oriented around corporations trying to maximize profit.
> Individuals too are generally interested in maximizing income.

We are?  Perhaps unenlightened individuals.  I don't give a damn about money.
I just want enough so that I can take my girlfriend out to dinner :)

I just want to work on cool technology that helps people.

Unfortunately the people don't seem to show their appreciation :)

> However, the capitalism economic system does depend on the freedom of
> businesses and individuals to act as they see fit, within the confines of the
> law.

Really?  What about when the companies change the law?  DMCA is one good
example.

Also, what about when the law doesn't do anything about companies that break it?
AKA Microsoft :)

> The paradox of capitalism, IMHO, is that the needs of society as a whole are
> best met when businesses and individuals act in their own best
> self-interest. Others have explained why better than I ever could.

This is one scenario.  It is far from 100% though. Companies screw over society
all the time though.  We need a balanced system...

Kevin

- --

...the biggest breakthrough in biotechnology since the breakthrough it fixes.