Subject: Re: Intellectual Property Reform
From: Giles <giles@oz.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:19:44 -0800

Kevin A. Burton wrote:

>Just some things I have been thinking of.
>
>Ever since the source code for Quake 2 was released
>
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/22/053211&mode=thread
>
>I have been really thinking about this issue.
>
>I think ID software did a GREAT job here.  They made money and at the same time
>contributed back to the community.
>
>I would have NO problem within having a system of copyright for software that
>expired after 3-5 years and required that the source code go back to the public.

This could backfire a bit.  Some folks are using the GPL as a "weapon"
against other companies.  Ie, they specifically don't want another
company to incorporate their code into their application without making
it free.  The GPL has used copyright law to enforce this.  If you change
the copyright laws such that code became public property then you might
disable this tactic.

--
Alan Hudson
President: Yumetech, Inc.                      http://www.yumetech.com/