Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:09:21 -0700 (MST)

    Hmmm....  And yet you used AIX, SunOS, and HP-UX to develop the GNU
    Project in the first place.  Seems to me that you have lost your
    virginity.

By using the word "virginity" you introduce an assumption that "doing
it fifty times is no worse than doing it once".  That is not the way I
look at ethical or political issues.

		You compromised once, to good effect.  Why not do it
    again?

It was justified by very special circumstances which do not arise very
often.  The context is also very different now.  Now our community has
many people who say that using non-free software is perfectly ok
whenever that is convenient.  Spreading the contrary view is therefore
a high priority for us.