Subject: RE: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_ahmed@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:03:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Larry Augustin <lma@vasoftware.com> wrote:
> 1. If you are an investment bank, and you do
> something different in IT
> than Goldman-Sachs does, and the something different
> breaks so that
> Goldman-Sachs is still running and you are down, you
> get fired

I know for a fact that Goldman Sachs used some open
source software, and that they probably still use some
open source software. I also know for a fact that some
goldman sachs IT guys are familiar with open source
software, or tinker with it at home.

The problem in the IT departments is that open source
may or may not meet their business needs at a price
that makes the risk of switching systems worth it.
Also, they're not evangelical about open source,
they'll use whatever gets the job done.

Before we all jump on Wal-Mart as being the company to
convert, think about what their IT infrastructural
actually looks like, its a host or ERP, CRM, ERT, EAI
etc. etc. systems from a variety of vendors, some of
which may even be running on GNU/Linux. If you think
these guys are going to get into the coding business
for anything other than some glue stuff, you're
bonkers. Juniper Networks, incidently, is another
company with very advanced supply chain management
systems.

I see no reason why these enterprise applications
shouldn't run on GNU/Linux. Indeed, Oracle and other
vendors are doing just that. But these applications
aren't going to be open source software, and the
companies themselves will have little interest in
developing these applications as open source software
(they're just no in that business).

Tom Lord seems to feel that everyone shares his
interest in freeing all software. People don't.

Zimran

=====
human-computer interaction over the next 25 years:
http://www.winterspeak.com