Subject: Re: Meeting the MS challenge
From: Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:20:49 -0500

> This would require massive cooperation (via contract development and
> revenue sharing) between producer and consumer.

Cooperation - no, communication - yes.  The communication aspects are
automatable, and will only get cheaper as EDI permeates the world.

> Ever notice that the multi-nationals with lots of cash aren't
> funding Microsoft Office alternatives?

Other than Qualcomm and Eudora.  But I think in that case they adopted
the support of something they depended on when it was orphaned, rather
than choosing to create something new.

> They don't do it because they don't see that as part of their
> mission or as a significant social contribution, among other
> reasons.

I figured it was because someone high in the food chain is sold on MS,
and anybody that points out the lack of clothing gets fired.

> Free software business models often break down because they require
> people to play nice.

Yes.  The existing libre models require cooperation, and in my opinion
they fail.  A successful model will work with blood-crazed weasels who
feel that fiduciary responsibility is a mandate for bad citizenship.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org