Subject: Re: Choardic Commons
From: Scott Capdevielle <scott@syndicom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:01:34 -0700

Brian,
actually I am quite familiar with SourceXChange.  I think I was a pretty
early participant and was intrigued by the approach. I also am familiar
with your work on Apache and CollabNet and appreciate your
contributions.  From what I learned from people involved (in
SourceXChange) it was axed for a number of reasons, perhaps you might
shed some light on the details.  The approach I have been studying is
subtly different but shares a lot of the same goals.  What I have
learned is that, while very successful, many of the participants in the
open source world are not fully aware of the protocols that are in place
and that without them that chaos would ensue.  I, and others in the
field, beleive it is related to chaos and complexity.  Where, and I am
simplifying here,  the difference is simply the underlying behavioral
protocols. Wihtout them, you have chaos. With them, complexity emerges.

There is ample research, I have read only a fragment, that suggests that
furthering the experimentation with such protocols would lead to greater
ability for communities to collaborate.

I mentioned some research by Dr Miles and found the paper. It is called
"Understanding Knowledge Activists Successes and Failures" and is a
great read for people interested in the underlying reasons for success
in collaboration in general.  Here is a link to an overview
http://www.lrp.ac/35_1_february_2002.html. (thanks Jack!).  I will try
to get an electronic copy for anyone who is interested.

scott