Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:34:22 -0700

On 9/20/02 2:44 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

>   Rich> What is the essential difference between Tim's publishing a
>   Rich> Linux book that includes a Linux CD and RedHat publishing a
>   Rich> Linux CD distribution that includes a Linux book?
>
> Support.  O'Reilly is a book publishing company.  None of those great
> authors are on retainer in case a reader has a problem with the CD.

Actually, we do have an active tech support department for all our books,
and regularly relay questions to our authors as well.  And we do this for
free, including the service in the price of the often proprietary book.
Whereas FSBs give away the software but charge for the service.  Go figure.

1-707-829-0515 http://www.oreilly.com, http://tim.oreilly.com