Subject: Re: Successful FSBs
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:54:00 -0700

On 9/25/02 12:59 AM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

> An FSB is a business that _promotes_ "access to the laboratory" via
> free software as a significant part of its business strategy, and that
> profits, directly or indirectly, from the _substitution_ of free
> software for proprietary software.

That is interesting.  But I will point out that Microsoft's "shared source"
strategy has exactly that characteristic--except for the embedded definition
of "free software."  They are trying to give "access to the laboratory" as a
way of helping to displace someone else's "proprietary" software (Java),
which itself has a limited "access to the labororatory" strategy...

1-707-829-0515 http://www.oreilly.com, http://tim.oreilly.com