Subject: RE: towards a broader definition of an FSB
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:43:52 -0400 (EDT)

> For example, a common strategy is to create some proprietary software
> around the free software and sell that.

Ooo!  Ooo! I think I've heard of a company doing that with a
source code management tool or something.  <Very big grin>

Since you brought it up, (and have the experience to comment,)
do you have estimates or hard numbers to justify that keeping
the add-on proprietary is a business necessity?

I never believe the "lost sales" numbers coming out of the SPA
or the RIAA or similar groups.

What do you decide are the benefits in keeping some add-ons
proprietary?  Is the primary benefit maintaining control?
Being able to approach potential customers with a unique
solution (because you exclude competition?)  Customer lock-in?
Generating per-seat revenue?  Reducing lost sales?

What are the benefits/disadvantages your customers get?

A while back on this list we saw some numbers from Sleepycat,
which is making a different FSB play.  (License differential.)
It would be great if you (or anyone else making a similar play)
would comment and share experience of the proprietary add-on.