Subject: Re: up2date
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 08:39:48 -0500 (EST)

> To:            Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
> Subject:       Re: up2date
> From:          Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>

> Note that the interesting part of the Red Hat Network (RHN) is mostly
> in the RHN server.  I believe that the code is Red Hat
> proprietery--it's definitely not widely distributed.  I'm certain that
> the data is Red Hat proprietary.  The data is information like who has
> signed up for RHN, and the set of RPMs which are being distributed.

For a look at an open source system to incrementally update
software, see my httpsync, published in DDJ in July 1999.

   http://www.mibsoftware.com/httpsync/

Httpsync is client-side only software, which compiles and
runs on BSD/Linux/Unix and Windows.

For the server side, use any old WWW server.

Since Httpsync uses port 80 HTTP, it isn't usually hard
to punch holes in firewalls or use proxies to enable
the transfers.

As I see it, the proprietary data, not the software, is
what RedHat has formed that business around.  There
is nothing anti-FSB with that, is there?

Forrest