Subject: Re: on the horizon -- broadband filesystems v. distributions
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:07:25 +0500

Tom Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:
> What impact will broadband have on distributions?  or on
> the P.C., for that matter?  Surely it will be larger than
> "I can get my ISO images 20 times faster."  Any bets on
> whether or not broadband deployment becomes the new WPA?

Well one of the first things that will happen is that a
lot of people will be forced - the hard way - to learn
what should be well-known engineering principles.  Two
sample ones that will bite people over and over again:

http://www.stuartcheshire.org/rants/Latency.html
http://www.darkridge.com/~jpr5/doc/gnutella.html

Why did I choose those?  Because they are basic mistakes
which most people do not have good intuition about,
which will not show up in tests but cannot be avoided if
your stuff gets popular.

> Personally, I think file systems like AFS or Coda will
> change what people buy and how they maintain their
> systems -- it'll be a big economic shift.  It'll fix a
> lot of problems and there's a decades-long history of
> this being a low-cost and featureful approach to
> supporting lots and lots of seats.  Buying a computer
> will be a lot more like buying a telephone.
[...]

It goes without saying that the more grandiose the plans
for pervasive broadband, the more the above will be the
fly in the ointment...

Cheers,
Ben