Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:27:42 -0800 (PST)

	stephen:

	What bothers me most about your whole scenario, though, is
	that it's seriously dependent on Microsoft-style monopoly.

You're whacked.  Admittedly, buy-in from a big-ass like AOL would
help, but it's hardly necessary.

      I just don't think free software people are going to put up with that.
      So you'll get competition, you'll get people saying about you _exactly
      the same things you say about Red Hat_, etc.  And how do you stop
      peer-to-peer redistribution of your services?

By tying it to connectivity and storage/backups for home markets, for
example.  Similar techniques apply to business markets.  Let 1000 root
servers bloom.

	And, anyway, it's been tried.

Bullshit.  Outside of universities, it hasn't.  Care to contradict me
with significant specifics?  (I won't be surprised if you can find
some obscure examples that were fatally flawed for irrelevent
reasons.)

	I see some interesting numbers, I'll admit.  But I have this
	funny feeling that the VCs will figure out quickly that there
	just isn't a real need for FS R&D staff in this operation.

In spite of ample evidence, I presume VCs are smarter than that.  Now
if only they'd return my email of a year or three ago, when I not only
proposed a specific R&D company, but pointed towards a significant
strategic direction.  Oh, Forrest (the other one), your name came to
my attention with such interesting recommendations :-)

	Instead, virtualize by having Red Hat provide the distro, get
	Ximian or the Kompany to beef up desktop support training,
	etc.

This does not contradict "the plan".  I 0wze those kompanyes :-)

	We (the VCs) _hate_ cats; let the catherds deal with them....

Intersting typo.  Anyway: What, is this your (coming out) party?  Are
you actually that rich?  or on some board of advisors somewhere?  Hey
man, RMS was right on event and keymap data-structures :-)

"but don't intimidate her [....]
 this life is more than just a read-through"
-t

p.s: O.K. -- this has now officially degenerated into komplete
silliness.   Me go to bed now.