Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 07:08:02 -0800

   Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 00:13:47 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>

	   bfox:

	   The nightmare of updating 5,000 user's desktops in a small
	   period of time

The nightmare is the compatibility issue.  The one part of my mail
that you didn't quote was:

   bfox> In the real world, individuals use personalized workstations,
   bfox> running specific software packages that break after updates
   bfox> because ... that's what updates do to your systems.

So, when a large number of people have individual applications that
they rely on, stored either personally (personal use only), locally
(corporate use only), or wide area (shared among physically disparate
groups), upgrading can cause any number of those apps to break.

Therein lies the support issue.

Most campus IT that I have seen solve this problem by telling you that your
app isn't supported -- either ditch the app, or ditch the IT support.

Most corporate IT that I have seen solve this problem by telling you
that you isn't supported -- and you need to remove it from your
machine right now.

	   Oh, wait, then they won't be all running the same OS
	   version exactly, and you'll be fighting a
	   multiple-version-os nightmare in support.

   Ah -- you seem to have ignored the premise of the plan or to be unware
   of the historical practice that validates that premise.  All those 60k
   users per community are getting their platform via a shared
   distributed filesystem.  They are all in sync.

Hey, more power to you.  This is what MSFT has been trying to do for
years.  BTW, it's only $100/incident, charge to your credit card.
Operators are standing by.

Brian
--
  More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
	Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800