Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: eichin@thok.org
Date: 05 Nov 2002 15:55:01 -0500

> Here's a traceroute from the server at my house, connected by DSL, to
> the same IP address:

(1) that depends a lot on the provider; if you had MediaOne (or
    whatever that is these days) at the same street address, you'd be
    much better connected to MIT.

(2) he did suggest partnering with/becoming the ISP for a reason :-)
    The idea is not to provide these services to the world from a
    single point, it is to take advantage of locality.  (of course,
    that's why it won't work outside of cities, given the numbers he
    suggested...)

> If I tried to use NFS/AFS/Andrew to run desktop applications over a link
> with this kind of latency, what kind of performance would I see?

I know people who regularly run apps out of MIT "lockers" (in AFS)
from cable modems in cambridge; the results are better than one would
expect.  Most of the pain comes when trying to do local installs,
because you get no caching benefit there.