Subject: Re: Intro and question
From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:29:13 -0800

On 2/27/03 4:41 PM, "Peter Wayner" <pcw2@flyzone.com> wrote:

>> Speaking of brand, our now world-famous animal imagery was a gift to us, an
>> "open source" contribution if you will, by a designer who was a friend of
>> one of our writers.  She thought that the Unix programs we wrote about
>> sounded like weird animals, and whipped up the design over a weekend when we
>> were struggling with possible covers for the books.
>

> If I'm not mistaken, most of the art seems to be taken from Dover
> books, a famous publisher of copyright free material. They were open
> source before open source was cool. In fact, they were publishing
> before the term "open source" or "free software" even existed.
> Probably before many computers even existed.
>
> -Peter

The initial images were taken from a Dover collection, but we soon realized
that we shouldn't be dependent on their published collections, so we've
acquired many 19th century books with original illustrations.  We've also
got a very talented artist on staff who has created many original images.

But your point is a very good one -- the public domain, and copyright
policies that ensure that materials eventually fall into it, is an essential
part of the intellectual ecosystem.  That's why I think that the work of
creative commons (www.creativecommons.org) is so important.

I'll also add that Dover has always been one of my publishing idols.  A
great company.

1-707-829-0515 http://www.oreilly.com, http://tim.oreilly.com