Subject: Re: Open Source Developer Exchange
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2003 20:28:16 -0800

"Ron Lancaster" <doc@firelord.net> writes:

> I'm interested in starting a compay similar to what Cosource
> (http://web.archive.org/web/20010708093616/www.cosource.com/)  used to
> be (with some differences). Specifically, an exchange where buyers can
> sponsor development of features for open source projects. The company
> would make money by taking a percentage of the fee paid.
>
> There's nothing new here and in 2000 there were several companies trying
> to do this (and several write-ups including
> http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-10/lw-10-matchmaking-p2.htm
> l). However, they all seem to be dead now. One exception is
> rentacoder.com which doesn't cater to open source business. So, why did
> these companies fail?

If I'm going to spend money on something, I want some assurance that
the thing I purchase is what I want.  I don't get that if I don't even
know who is going to be the developer on the project I want done.

If I really want something done, I'll hire a contract programmer.  If
I want a particular feature in a program, but I don't want to spend
what it takes to implement that feature, I'll talk to the maintainers
of the program and try to convince them to implement it, perhaps with
some cash contribution.  I won't chip in to hire some random person.

So, why would I use an exchange?  I see the disadvantages; what are
the advantages?

Ian