Subject: Re: Initial thoughts on IBM-SCO Lawsuit, and Implications for FSBs
From: Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:59:55 -0800

Don Marti wrote:

>begin Larry M. Augustin quotation of Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:01:27AM -0800:
>

>>In summary, the key point being IBM had access to SCO's source code as
>>part of a licensing agreement.  SCO alleges that IBM released
>>intellectual property (trade secrets and/or copyrighted code) in
>>violation of that license agreement.
>>
>>Individual developers and companies that are not SCO licensees would
>>not appear to be potential targets for this type of lawsuit.
>>

>So the main point here is: Don't accept "Shared Source", or any
>access to proprietary source code under NDA, or this will happen
>to you if the licensor doesn't like something you do in the future.

Myself, I wonder who is buying SCO. They wouldn't want to start the
lawsuit themselves... Maybe I should keep my tapioca pudding under lock
and key, but if someone were considering buying a company for their
intellectual property rights - as is common - then they would want to
garner more intellectual property rights to themselves so that they are
'worth more'. In doing so, the potential buyer(s) also don't get their
hands dirty, and can say "We inherited this mess". Plausible deniability.

I wonder who the buyer could be? I wonder if there is bigger game afoot.

Well, I better check and see if my tapioca pudding is safe... staple
some newspaper to the walls...

Taran
http://www.knowprose.com