Subject: RE: Augustin's 8 Simple Rules for Open-Source Business Strategy
From: Russell McOrmond <russell@flora.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:30:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Larry M. Augustin wrote:

> We tend to listen most to people who put things in terms that are familiar
> to us.  Larry and Eben are lawyers.  Naturally, they would appeal to someone
> with a legal background.  One of the strengths of the Open Source movement
> is the diversity of its supporters.  All of us can speak in our own way to
> our own constituencies.

  IANAL, and am a "freedom fighting computer geek".  You would think I
would understand Richard Stallman better than Eben, but meeting both in
person showed me that this was not the case.  One of the neat thing about
Open Source is that we are growing in size and can listen to people in
"other constituencies" only to find out we need to open ourselves to
"other people" more than we have in the past.

  Just a bit more than a decade ago I thought "kill all the lawyers" was a
really cool idea I read somewhere.  Now look what I do.... ;-)

  I'm trying to extend my FLOSS work into other forms of creativity.  For
the curious I'm trying to reach the Canadian Writers Union and other
groups who have thus far been supportive of DMCA and copyright extension
type legislation in Canada.

  Crean and Lessig: Creators more similar than different?
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/discuss/2540

> Larry
 "Make it legal: don't litigate, use creative licensing" campaign.
 A modern answer to P2P: http://www.flora.ca/makelegal200403.shtml
 Canadian File-sharing Legal Information Network http://www.canfli.org/