Subject: Re: Fwd: Wall Street article on a new Cooperative
From: Taran Rampersad <cnd@knowprose.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:35:40 -0500

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Matt Asay wrote:
>

>>As for the critique (made by others) that Avalanche does nothing for
>>open source, how so? Why is it any less open source because it is
>>restricted to a smaller group of participants than most open source
>>projects, a restriction largely dictated by our voraciously hungry legal
>>system?
>>

>Because there is no right to fork.
>
>	Brian

Right, they're behind. But they are embracing one part of FLOS. In time,
they may embrace others. What they are celebrating as innovation is a
poor mimicry of what already exists. And if companies *buy* into that,
maybe businesses will be more eager to *buy* into other approaches along
the same guidelines - which would probably allow forking.

And if they don't, they lose - right?
Endgame.

If they do, they move closer to FLOS, and eventually become FLOS.
Endgame.

I really don't see any losses, aside from the non-forking
(self-flagellating) folk. And whether that's a loss instead of a draw is
questionable.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd@knowprose.com