Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:36:42 -0800
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:36:42 -0800
on Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 10:24:00AM +0100, David N. Welton (davidw@dedasys.com) wrote:

> Oracle, for instance, makes their money off of a proprietary software
> product.  They support Linux where it's strategic for them, and
> otherwise, just get on with things.  They seem to have much less
> love/hate surrounding them than Sun.  Perhaps that will change as the
> free databases continue to grow up, but that's another email, another
> day.

Oracle doesn't compete with GNU/Linux.  It manages to benefit from it,
somewhat nicely.

Where Oracle's going to start feeling conflicted is when the Free
Software databases start nibbling noticeably at its bottom end.  I first
called this as a likely emerging trend, about five years out, in
2001/2002.  Likely to be slowly developing, in large part because
enterprise database systems are so damned fugly.  But with corporate
churn continuing and emerging markets, that day will come.  Probably
within the next 2-3 years, not too far off my original estimate.

Curiously, since Oracle and Sun are being breathed with the same breath
in this discussion, I tried to half-heartedly flog the idea of the two
companies merging.  Again, ~2001/2 timeframe.  If they had, they  might
have produced a hardware + platforms + services company to match IBM.
Personalities would have got in the way, and possibly did.

At which point Oracle can decide whether or not it's a database company
or a data services company.

Hrm....   Who else does data services, dabbles in spook work, wants an
enterprise in, and is located on the Penninsula?

Google buys Oracle?

You heard it here first ;-)

Peace.

   Office Despot: Office Depot embraces Microsoft XP logo requirement.
     http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit030.html
     http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8472

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]