Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:10:26 +0100

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 05:34 -0500, Anthony Long wrote:
> Do people think it would help the image of Sun to donate the
> OpenOffice.org codebase and project to a non-profit consortium made up
> of key players such as Sun, Red Hat, Novell, and others who have a
> stake in OpenOffice.org?  Would this help increase code contributions
> from other corporations and individual volunteers?

To my knowledge, there's no problem with openoffice.org, many
vendor collaborate around the source base, why changing things?

A very nice presentation from Novell/Ximian:
http://www.gnome.org/~michael/bangalore-2004/TheWorldOfOpenOffice.html

In particular:
http://www.gnome.org/~michael/bangalore-2004/img9.html
"OO.o CVS is the authoritative base source"
"Sun is doing it right"

This is the one project Sun didn't screw up with awful pseudo open
licenses.

Laurent