Subject: Re: need source for an oft-quoted stat
From: Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:05:47 -0500

Brian Behlendorf writes:

 > "Most software development is focused on software intended for internal
 > use" is, in varying forms, a statistic quoted often when talking about why
 > Open Source appeals broadly.  Anyone know the source of this, or other
 > related stats?  It's for a business-magazine piece.

First time I heard it was from Eric Raymond in the Cathedral and the
Bazaar.  It's likely to be on Target; consider how much code Wal*Mart
must have, or Sears, or KMart (but ahhh I repeat myself).

--
--My blog is at angry-economist.russnelson.com  | The laws of physics cannot
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | be legislated.  Neither can