Subject: Re: User Views
From: Dan Doner <dd435157@LONGS.LANCE.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 93 12:03:43 -0700

> I think part of the reason for the lower productivity in computers (no producti
vity gains since the
> introduction of the IBM PC in '81) is the lack of recognition among most people
 of the necessity for
> knowledge and expertise.  Commercial, bundled software builds on this attitude.
>
> Most organizations cannot deal with something which doesn't come in a box...
>
> One of my justifications to use freeware is I know who writes it (and some of t
he best
> programmers in the world write freeware).
>
> marty

I couldn't agree more - point and click packaged software has turned into a
crutch that seems to impede not only understanding, but productivity as well.

I use nothing but FSF software (and Linux) and find that I am just as
productive if not more so.  However, this transition did take
considerable experience.  As FSF-type software develops, hopefully the
required level of expertise will go down.

Dan Doner
dd435157@lance.colostate.edu
Mechanical Engineering
Colorado State University