Subject: Re: "open source" -- new term for libre software
From: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 18:19:07 -0800

Open Source already has another meaning in the intelligence community;
it means information that was published, as opposed to hidden.
Clipping a story from Der Spiegel is open source information; teasing
the same story out of a German bureaucrat at a bar, or overhearing it
by wiretapping their phone, is not.  A large fraction of useful
intelligence is from open sources.

Robert Steele (ex-CIA) has had an "Open Source Solutions" conference
every year for the last four or five years, working to convince spooks
that they should focus more on open sources.

Cygnus looked for better words than "free software" too, and never
found any that caught on.  "Sourceware" was our try.  Freed software
is close enought that it might work.  You're welcome to tilt at that
windmill, but I suggest putting your energies elsewhere.

	John