Subject: Re: "open source" -- new term for libre software
From: bruce@va.debian.org
Date: 10 Feb 1998 02:37:55 -0000

Eric Raymond:
> There's a way to address this.  Bruce is going to trademark it and
> attach it to the Debian Open Source guidelines (formerly the Debian
> Free Software Guidelines).

Actually, the document is called the "Open Source Definition", and is
derived from the Debian Free Software Guidelines.

I'm surprised that this trademark issue wasn't obvious to everyone.
Yes, you trademark it (actually a Certification Mark) and insist that
it be used only to advertise software that fits the definition.

> I spoke with RMS earlier today and this satisfies him.  I hope it's
> good enough for you.

That sounds like a GO to me.

	Thanks

	Bruce