Subject: Re: Paul Fremantle on Open Source Business
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 18:04:33 +0900

Russ Nelson writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
 >  > So we're back where we started.  Open source seems like a good focus,
 >  > but it's no better than any other focus.
 >
 > Huh?  Open source engages your customers in your product.

So do lots of things, like high-quality products, good friendly
support, convenient retailing networks, etc.  That doesn't make open
source a *better* focus than quality, support, or convenience as far
as I can see.

What it comes down to is that open source isn't *bad* business, focus
is *good* business, and as a focus open source is as good as any
other.