Subject: Re: Economics of software distribution
From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@ESO.MC.XEROX.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1993 18:17:44 PST

The only way for free software to work is for organizations with funds (i.e
the government, research labs, institutions, large corporations) to pay
for programs which are then redistributed freely...

Do we consider X windows "free" (although it isn't copylefted?)

The BSD net 2 distribution and X11 are good models...the quality is superb.

I think it is very difficult to try and make money supporting freeware you
personally write... (which is why there is shareware...)

marty
leisner@eso.mc.xerox.com leisner.henr801c@xerox.com
Member of the League for Programming Freedom
"I just know I'm a better manager when I have Joe DiMaggio in center field" -- Casey
Stengel