Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: peterd@Bunyip.Com (Peter Deutsch)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:38:48 -0400

[ You wrote: ]

> On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, William C. Cheng wrote:
> > Jury is still out that whether Linux will survive.
>
> I don't think there's much question about *that*.  After all, if CP/M
> still survives, more than 20 years after its introduction and more than
> 12 years after it lost market dominance, without source or support,
> it's pretty clear Linux will survive for a couple of decades at least.
> And most of the obstacles that lost CP/M the market -- prices way too
> high, slow innovation, etc. -- are simply impossible for Linux to
> succumb to.

And don't foget that Forbes just ran a story on the open
software model, with Torvald pictured on the cover. With
exposure like that he should be looking at an IPO and
pricing new yachts! ;-)

Seriously, Linux is filling a real need right now,
although I suspect it's taking far more away from the
"proprietary" UNIXen than from Window9*. It's probably
measurably still hurting WindowsNT in the server world.

				- peterd

     Peter Deutsch,                                   (514) 875-8611  (phone)
  Bunyip Information Systems Inc.                     (514) 875-8134  (fax)
    <peterd@bunyip.com>                               http://www.bunyip.com

"How come there's never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?"