Subject: Re: A few thoughts.
From: shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 20:23:04 -0300

In message <19980815012650.21335.qmail@desk.crynwr.com>, Russell Nelson writes:
> shap@eros.cis.upenn.edu writes:
> I'm not sure I believe this theory.  There are far too many examples
> of binary choices.  Or, if you're a fan of the Highlander movies,
> "There Can Be Only Two."

There are many markets in which there is a single dominant provider
and a secondary provider.  Generally the secondary provider has less
than half the market share of the primary.

Do any markets occur to you in which two major providers remain at
parity for any length of time?

> That's interesting.  Redhat Linux is "first on the shelves".

For Linux, yes.  This is part of why it has done well.  EROS
represents a different value proposition and goes after a different
kind of user.

shap